RE: [Axiom-developer] [MutualRecursion] (new)

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] [MutualRecursion] (new)
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 14:01:10 -0500

On Tuesday, January 18, 2005 11:52 PM William Sit wrote:

> Peter Broadbery wrote:
> >
> > All over - try OutputForm as an example.
>
> Yes, that is probably (that is, not yet investigated) the
> cause for the oneliner stack overflow crash (wonder if it
> would also cause Aldor to have a stack overflow):
>
> print(anydomain::OutputForm)
>
> such as
>
> print(Integer()::OutputForm)

> This seems to be mutual recursion with no end, thus stack
> overflow.

I think "cause" is too strong a word here. Actually mutual
recursion is often a very good thing. The cause of the stack
overflow is still bug in implementation - not necessarily a
criticism of the design. In fact, I think that if we can find
the right tools for dealing with mutual recursion in Axiom,
this could represent a major advantage of Axiom for the direct
representation of mathematical concepts over all other computer
algebra systems.