Re: [Axiom-developer] RE: algebra Makefiles with explicit dependencies,

From: Stephen Wilson
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] RE: algebra Makefiles with explicit dependencies, bootstrap, fixed-points etc.
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 20:51:44 -0500

Tim, Bill,

> I'm wondering if it is possible that during the fixedPoint build if
> some of the new definitions (particularly those in wi2.boot,
> xruncomp.boot) are being autoloaded during compilation. The changes
> which I have already noted in the generated lisp seem to support this
> (fixnum arith vs. generic arith, inlining of trivial coercions,
> etc). All the changes make sense if they are the result of calling one
> of the `improved' functions which these files redefine.

I have just confirmed that the interpsys images used during the
first-iteration and second-iteration fixedPoint build are different.
I cooked up a representative spad file which does trigger the
variations in generated code as we have been seeing.

Perhaps we should modify the makefiles to guarantee a `canonical'
axiom image.

At this point, I am confident that with updated bootstrap code, and a
constant axiom image, we will get arrive at a fixed point after a
single pass.

Sincerely,
Steve