Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: hyperdoc

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: hyperdoc
Date: 15 Jan 2005 05:20:01 +0100

"Bill Page" <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

| > | In short, XML is gonna be a hard sell.
| >
| > well, people with extensive experience with XML and fair
| > assessment are rather the exception, instead of the norm;
| > so it might end up being an easy sell  ;-)
| >

| Well, I do use XML and the XSL style language extensively and
| I have expressed my positive attitude toward XML based solutions
| some time ago in this same email list.
|
| The major error that you are making here is simply in the use
| of the name XML.

I don't think so.

| XML is a meta standard that carries almost no  semantic content.

That precisely is my point.

If it conveyed semantics, one would have something to argue about.
But it does not.  So, it comes to personal experiences, fair
assessment compared to other formats.  In most cases where I used XML,
I saw no benefit over lisp-syntax, except occasional additional
complexity in the way my codes get structured.  In practice, I found
the "selling" point of XML being more abstract than practical.

But I don't think there is hope that I'm going to convince you, nor
you're going to convince me. :-)

[...]

| So I am in 100% agreement with Bob McElrath that support of MathML
| in the LatexWiki/MathAction web environment should be an immediate
| goal. And using SVG for graphics display would also be real nice
| but I think available appications for this are still a little rare.
| These applications of MathML and SVG are internal and completely
| transparent to the user. All they see is better quality display
| of mathematics and graphics in their browser.

I guess it all boils down to contribution of actual codes, which I
have no doubt is going to happen soo.  So the question is probably
moot.
I was just voicing my experience, which I do not think is
accompanied with a fair assessment :-)
Even if it happens to intersect Tim's (whose comments I take to be
fair, and based on extensive experience).