Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: hyperdoc

From: C Y
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: hyperdoc
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 10:48:03 -0800 (PST)

--- root <address@hidden> wrote:

> > I agree TeXmacs has great math formula output, and for quite a
> > while I think it will be the best solution for my particular work
> > style.  I still think the long term potential of a lisp/McCLIM
> > based GUI is worth investigating, but that is something I need to
> > be able to demonstrate before proposing seriously.
>
> Well you're almost there. Hyperdoc is currently being rewritten in
> common lisp using ltk (http://www.peter-herth.de/ltk) which uses TK
> as the front end.

Excellent :-).

> I tried for days to get McClim to run without success. I'd rather go
> that way but McClim seems to still need much work.

I assume this is on GCL?  Do you think if you have time you could
summarize the issues you ran into?  It could be very helpful for the
GCL and McCLIM teams - as far as I know you are the first person in
quite a while to take a stab at it.

> LTK is simple and, so far, just seems to work. In any case it
> should be possible to write a McClim version of the ltk/TK primitives
> when McClim starts to work and the rest of hypertex will already be
> lisp.

Right - another great reason to use lisp :-).  Actually, from what I
saw of hyperdoc it looks like it won't really need McCLIM's features,
so ltk is definitely the logical choice (especially if ltk works with
Windows Tcl/Tk?)

CY