Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: hyperdoc

From: C Y
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: hyperdoc
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 05:45:30 -0800 (PST)

--- "Andrey G. Grozin" <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Jan 2005, Martin Rubey wrote:

> > NO NO NO, only if it runs without TeXmacs. I don't want to switch
> > between emacs and TeXmacs. NEVER!
>
> Interesting. My feelings are exactly opposite. I very much dislike
> the idea that, in order to do computer algebra, I have to run an
> http server, a browser, a wiki and what else. I have 128M of memory;
> I want to use them to solve my problem, and don't want to waste them.

> Also, I dislike all browser-based interfaces.

As a rule I would have to agree.  I support Axiom being able to work
with the web, but that's almost certainly not the way I would prefer to
do it.

> On the other hand, hyperdoc definitely looks too old-fashioned. It
> should be (at some moment in the future) replaced by a nice program
> capable of showing non-trivial mathematics. Are there such programs?
> Yes, TeXmacs!! I don't think anything can beat it in the quality of
> math formulas. Why re-invent the wheel? TeXmacs seems the best
> choice available.

I agree TeXmacs has great math formula output, and for quite a while I
think it will be the best solution for my particular work style.  I
still think the long term potential of a lisp/McCLIM based GUI is worth
investigating, but that is something I need to be able to demonstrate
before proposing seriously.

Fortunately, thanks to open source and multiple skilled volunteer
contributors, we can have our cake, eat it too, and bake another :-).

CY