Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: Axiom/Aldor

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: Axiom/Aldor
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 12:53:33 +0100

I run Debian/Sarge and unfortunately binutils-dev was not installed.
How should I have guessed the package name if 'make' just tells me that bfd.h is missing?

Is it somewhere explicitly written which packages I have to install in order to compile something like axiom--main--1--patch-24? Ehm, I guess this branch is different from the debian axiom-source package, right?

A good place for a description of required software would be arch.axiom-developer.org or even in a README in the root of the Axiom source tree. Better still would be if ./configure tells you that the compilation will not succeed since there is something to install beforehand.

Ralf

Camm Maguire wrote:
Greetings!

root <address@hidden> writes:

bft.h? or bfd?

what system are you running on?

fat_string.c:17:17: bfd.h: No such file or directory
fat_string.c:18:21: bfdlink.h: No such file or directory
fat_string.c:229: error: parse error before "bfd_combined_table_update"
fat_string.c:229: error: parse error before "PTR"

uname -a
Linux rose 2.4.25-1-386 #2 Wed Apr 14 19:38:08 EST 2004 i686 GNU/Linux
It's Debian Sarge.

I'd have expected GCL to build on Debian with no problem since
that's Cammm's development environment.

try this:

make clean
edit lsp/Makefile.pamphlet
find the ./configure line and change the options to:

--enable-vssize=65536*2 --enable-locbfd --disable-dynsysbfd
--disable-statsysbfd --enable-maxpage=128*1024

and see if that cures it.

This should do it, as well as installing binutils-dev which the user
appears to be missing.  The build-dependencies for all Debian packages
are listed in the head of the debian/control file.  If one really
wants automated building on Debian, 'apt-get -q -b source gcl' will
either produce an installable .deb or fail listing the
build-dependencies which are missing.
Take care,