Re: [Axiom-developer] Release?

From: William Sit
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Release?
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 02:49:48 -0500

Dear Bill:

Thanks again for all the suggestions you sent. However, I am fully occupied for
the rest of this week (end of term rush) and next, if not all the way to end of
the year! (This is due to an article I "should have" finished end of November).

I'll try to continue testing the Windows version when I get a moment to spare
(trouble is, I have not developed Tim's multi-tasking ability -- still a single
processor CPU :-(  )

Some of the Axiom related work involves the April conference Tim mentioned,
where the plan is to explore whether we can quickly write some Axiom package to
simulate Matlab functions that are used in our calculus sequence. I also have
some mathematica notebooks for a differential equations course (a kind of
package not done to Wolfram standard, but very usable by students as tutorials),
but I am afraid at least for the foreseeable future, transporting it to Axiom is
not possible. If you are interested, you may download this from my course web
site:

http://scisun.sci.ccny.cuny.edu/~wyscc/Math391/DiffEqn.html

At CAISS, we believe that if we can get Axiom into the courses, we can get a
huge user base. But a prerequisite for that is a Windows version with easy user
interface. I think the user interface of Mathematica is way ahead, not just
because of the fancy fonts or layout or palettes, but also the style sheets and
PROGRAMMABLE Frontend. I used a lot of these features in my DiffEqn package.
There are of course many weaknesses (and strengths) in the design of
Mathematica.

Regards,

William