Re: [Axiom-developer] Release?

From: William Sit
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Release?
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 16:25:49 -0500

root wrote:

> Martin,
>
> I think we can announce the availability of the axiom.exe for
> windows without pushing the patches to savannah. I have a lot
> of little details that need to be checked before merging with
> main and then more testing before merging with savannah. The
> developers will be using tla/arch anyway so the it is not vital
> that savannah have these changes immediately rather than just
> "real soon now".

Tim:

I did some simple test on Windows version. Here are some (expected and perhaps
easy to "get around") "bugs":

(1) -> )summary
'cat' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
(1) -> )copyright
'cat' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
(1) -> )cd g:\axiom
   The current AXIOM default directory is
      j:/Program Files/axiom/mnt/windows/lib/
(1) -> )cd "g:/axiom"
   The current AXIOM default directory is
      j:/Program Files/axiom/mnt/windows/lib/
(1) -> )cd g:/axiom
   The current AXIOM default directory is
      j:/Program Files/axiom/mnt/windows/lib/
(1) -> )cd g://axiom
   The current AXIOM default directory is
      j:/Program Files/axiom/mnt/windows/lib/
(1) -> )cd g:\\axiom
   The current AXIOM default directory is
      j:/Program Files/axiom/mnt/windows/lib/
(1) -> )cd

   >> System error:
   Cannot get the truename of #P"~/".

protected-symbol-warn called with (NIL)
(1) ->

Given the average Windows user nowadays are unfamiliar with DOS commands (let
alone Unix 'cat'), I think it would not be advisable to announce or release to
the general scientific public at this time.

If we can get Texmacs window packaged with Axiom Windows release, that is a
different story. The snapshot sometime ago posted (by Mike Thomas:on Mon Dec 6,
texmacs_axiom_windows.jpg) is the kind of experience Windows users expect. I
think we need to give them a very good user experience (in addition to the
math-computation experience) so users can become productive right away "off the
box".

Incidentally, I double-clicked on tm_axiom.exe in the j:/Program
Files/axiom/mnt/windows/bin directory and a window appeared and disappeared
immediately. How should I start texmacs correctly?

William