RE: [Axiom-developer] _*STANDARD_-OUTPUT_* and similar

From: Mike Thomas
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] _*STANDARD_-OUTPUT_* and similar
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 14:50:21 +1000

Hi Bill.

| These symbols with _ look like standard Axiom escapes to
| me. In Axiom (starting probably at the bootsys level)
| the underscore character acts the same as the \ in C.
| I am quite surprized therefore that your change to the
| g-error.boot.pamphlet code, removing the _ even compiles
| at all. In the bootsys language (as in the Axiom language
| itself)
|
|  *STANDARD-OUTPUT* : fluid := $texOutputStream
|
| should be a syntax error because of the unescaped special
| symbols appearing on the left.
|
|  ... hmmm.
|
| I would look for reasons why the _ are apparently not
| being interpreted properly as escapes.

Thanks for the info - will do.

| And I'm really glad you are back looking at Axiom on
| Windows! It is entirely resistant to my feeble attempts
| to figure it out!

The Windows Axiom failure is the last GCL boundary I need to push back and
so I hope to focus more closely on it.  Unfortunately GCL itself is rapidly
evolving under pressure from the Unix side and that usually spells more work
and therefore distraction from Axiom.

Cheers

Mike Thomas.