Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom crashing in Zope-Plone

From: Bob McElrath
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom crashing in Zope-Plone
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 13:46:53 -0700

Bill Page address@hidden wrote:
> Hans,
>
> I am VERY HAPPY that you are motivated to do this! I would
> like to provide you with as much help as I can.
>
> I tried your demo.py program on the axiom-developer.org system
> and it works fine. The program and outout is attached below.
> As you can see, I only made a simple change to accommodate the
> default location of AXIOMsys and the input file.

Actually, I did not try to run your program.  Now that I do I find the
same as Bill...it works fine...on my Intel office computer.

> Although Bob McElrath has written separately about the issue of
> programs that produce a large output, I don't think that this is
> the problem since the MathAction axiom code already uses the
> "fixed runCommand" (makeNonBlocking etc.) that Bob mentions.
>
> Therefore I think the best approach would be to find the
> meaning of the EXITSTATUS 139. I will let you know if I find
> anything.

It is a segmentation fault.  I also see this on my alpha server.  (note
same axiom version in both places -- 0831)

In fact, now I can't run axiom at all on that computer -- it always
segfaults.

0x0000020000288158 in memmove () from /lib/libc.so.6.1
(gdb) where
#0  0x0000020000288158 in memmove () from /lib/libc.so.6.1
#1  0x000000012046a4b0 in gcl_init_GBC ()
#2  0x0000000120468f3c in memprotect_test_reset ()
#3  0x000000012047d284 in main ()

--
Cheers,
Bob McElrath [Univ. of California at Davis, Department of Physics]

    It is unpatriotic to question the Kleptocracy.