Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: Axiom wiki

From: root
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: Axiom wiki
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 22:04:07 -0400

Bob,

> Don't underestimate the usefulness of the CVS revision-and-patch
> mechanism.  I've been using darcs lately (better-than-cvs replacement)
> and it does this very nicely, incorporating things into logical
> patchsets which can be exchanged.  Placing files on the wiki and
> allowing multiple editors would result in many small edits, and it
> becomes difficult to track down (and possibly revert) dangerous changes.

Oh, CVS (or arch if I can get it working again) will still be used
for Axiom code. But it would be possible to add new code to Axiom
online and build test cases without damaging anything. And if the
resulting page were (by fortune or design) a near-pamphlet it would
be easy to "promote it into the official Axiom CVS".