[Axiom-developer] Re: Axiom on Windows

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: Axiom on Windows
Date: 08 Jun 2004 15:53:06 -0400

Greetings!

"Mike Thomas" <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Tim/Bill.
>
> I'm very close to getting a truncated Axiom running on Windows using the
> pending GCL 2.6.2 release code - (no sockets, Unixisms, XWindows stuff; had
> to restart make twice as it couldn't hack the pace etc).  It's a mess but I
> couldn't contain my excitement!
>
> After getting through the algebra layer and making the algebra docs, GCL
> finally barfed at the point of rebuilding the databases as set out below
> (due to a path issue I think); Lisp debugger debug log below for Camm.

See comments below.

> I decided to press ahead, copying these files:
>
> c:/cvs/head/axiom/src/share/algebra/browse.daase
> c:/cvs/head/axiom/src/share/algebra/category.daase
> c:/cvs/head/axiom/src/share/algebra/compress.daase
> c:/cvs/head/axiom/src/share/algebra/interp.daase
> c:/cvs/head/axiom/src/share/algebra/operation.daase
>
> into "c:/cvs/head/axiom/mnt/windows/algebra" and the command summary into
> "mnt/windows/lib".

yes, one can copy these files into place and avoid the database
rebuild.  There is another way that Tim described on the Axiom list
some time ago which I have forgotten.  On ia64 mips mipsel alpha and
hppa, where we have no save-system, this step exceeds the open file
descriptor limit (1024) with all the calls to dlopen, so we do
something similar there for Debian.

> address@hidden /c/cvs/head/axiom/src/algebra
> $ ../../mnt/windows/bin/AXIOMsys.exe
> GCL (GNU Common Lisp)  2.6.2 CLtL1   Jun  8 2004 13:12:41
> Source License: LGPL(gcl,gmp), GPL(unexec,bfd)
> Binary License:  GPL due to GPL'ed components: (UNEXEC)
> Modifications of this banner must retain notice of a compatible license
> Dedicated to the memory of W. Schelter
>
> Use (help) to get some basic information on how to use GCL.
>                         AXIOM Computer Algebra System
>                 Version of Tuesday June 8, 2004 at 13:25:54
> -
>    Issue )copyright to view copyright notices.
>    Issue )summary for a summary of useful system commands.
>    Issue )quit to leave AXIOM and return to shell.
> -
>
> (1) -> )lisp (make-databases "" nil)

I am unsure if this is the right command.  But in any case, one needs
to set (possibly several) environment variables, at least
AXIOM=$(pwd)/mnt/windows, before running this.

It looks like the 'nil' you find below is either that supplied as an
argument above or results from the missing environment.  In any case,
should this persist, it would be helpful (for someone, not you
hopefully, you overworked soul!) to repeat the below with
(si::use-fast-links nil) and under gdb with --enable-debug passed to
the GCL configure and build.

Take care,