Re: [Axiom-developer] Playing with Axiom

From: Bob McElrath
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Playing with Axiom
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 09:27:06 -0700

root address@hidden wrote:
> Martin,
>
> re: subst on tensors. can you give me an example that doesn't work
> along with an explanation of what you'd like to have happen?

    (a,b):Expression Float
    c: CartesianTensor(0,2,Expression Float)
    c := [a,b]
    subst(c, [a=1, b=2])

This seems to work if the dimension of CartesionTensor (second argument)
is 1, but not if it is larger.

I get a different error if I do:

    (E,px,py,pz):Expression Complex Float
    p: CartesianTensor(0,4,Expression Complex Float)
    p := [E,px,py,pz]
    subst(p, [E=1, px=2, py=3, pz=4])

--
Cheers,
Bob McElrath [Univ. of California at Davis, Department of Physics]

    "A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely
    rearranging their prejudices." -- William James