RE: [Axiom-developer] website <-> latex

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] website <-> latex
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 09:18:37 -0400

On Thursday, June 03, 2004 4:04 AM address@hidden
wrote

> Bill Page wrote:
> > I do not agree [that] XML or HTML and MATHML are "dead-ends".
> > To me they are simply "a means to an end".
> Sorry, I did not explain clearly. No, I did not say they
> _are_ dead ends, I just suggested to _consider them_ as
> dead-ends, as long as there is no tool that translates from
> mathml to latex.

Actually MATHML to LaTeX is not very difficult. Here are
some references:

>From http://www.w3.org/Math/implementations.html

"Vasil I. Yaroshevich's MathML to LaTeX translator [November
2002] XSLT MathML Library, is a set of XSLT stylesheets to
transform MathML 2.0 to LaTeX. It supports Presentation and
Content MathML."

  http://sourceforge.net/projects/xsltml/
  http://xsltml.sourceforge.net/

Also the MathType website at

http://www.dessci.com/en/support/tutorials/mt_mathml/default.htm

says:

"IBM techexplorer Hypermedia Browser - IBM. A plug-in for the
high-quality and customizable display of scientific and
mathematical expressions and documents. It supports hypertext,
multimedia, extended navigational features, and many user-definable
UI features. It renders a large subset of TeX and LaTeX, and a
large support for MathML (both for Content and Presentation
markup). The final version is expected to support LaTeX to
MathML and MathML to LaTeX translation. The techexplorer plug-in
is currently available for Windows 9x/NT, Linux, AIX, Solaris
and Irix."

But I have not yet been able to verify that "MathML to LaTeX
translation" was ever implemented.

BTW, earlier I wrote:

> I think TechExplorer is still a commercial product of IBM,
> right?

but the site

  http://www-306.ibm.com/software/network/techexplorer/

says

  IBM no longer markets techexplorer Hypermedia. This product
is now available from Integre Technical Publishing Co.,
please visit their web site at

  http://www.integretechpub.com/

There is says:

"Welcome to the web site for the Integre techexplorer Hypermedia
Browser. Here you will find information on two products that
are available for free download for individual use:

The techexplorer Hypermedia Browser allows your browser to display
TeX, LaTeX, and MathML markup, either from separate source files,
or embedded into an HTML page.

The MathML Equation Editor, which requires techexplorer, allows
you to create, edit, and save both Content and Presentation MathML.

Also on this site you will find customer support links, extended
licensing information, and technical resources for those developing
applications using techexplorer. "

http://www.integretechpub.com/techexplorer/

http://www.integretechpub.com/docs/techexplorer/Help/

In a recent email Tim Daly mentioned something about the possibility
of re-incorporating Techexplorer back into Axiom... I think that this
would be great!