Re: [Axiom-developer] website <-> latex

From: Bob McElrath
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] website <-> latex
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 10:50:38 -0700

Page, Bill address@hidden wrote:
> One enhancement of LatexWiki that I would like to see is a
> "pure" LaTeX mode which would parse LaTeX constructions such
> as \itemize and some of the other common LaTeX text formatting
> codes into the equivalent HTML code rather than rendering it
> as a graphic generated from LaTeX output. And this might also
> be extended to handle MATHML coding (if desired). We have
> had some discussions here about software that can do reliable
> LaTeX to HTML/MATHML and I think this could be quite easily
> encorporated in LatexWiki. At the present time, it should be
> possible to process LaTeX to HTML/MATHML using an external
> program and then use the simple HMTL option to upload it to
> a wiki page. But if your generated HTML code needs associated
> graphics, these will have to be uploaded separately.

Well the original idea was just to add the minimal required to enable
people to easily write equations.  I didn't really intend for a full
latex environment.  tex4ht can convert latex documents to html/mathml,
but it is very slow.  (slower than regular latex)  You will notice that
the current latexwiki can do mathml via a program called itex2MML if you
uncomment the type at the bottom of __init__.py.  This program uses lex
and yacc to parse a subset of the latex math syntax.  Do not feed it
anything too complicated.

FULL latex compatibility will require involving the latex program, which
I would like to move away from because it's slow.  But I'm open to
adding more latex elements to latexwiki.

Note that the whole thing is open source, written in python, so I
encourage you all to implement any of the above that you're interested
in.  ;)

The problem with mathml is that the client side is a disaster. (fonts)
So for the forseeable future I will implement it as a option that
individutal users have to go turn on.

Cheers,
Bob McElrath [Univ. of California at Davis, Department of Physics]

    "A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely
    rearranging their prejudices." -- William James