Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: FeynCalc -> MAXIMA

From: Bertfried Fauser
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: FeynCalc -> MAXIMA
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 09:15:25 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 18 May 2004, root wrote:

> Are the algorithms described anywhere?
>
> While a GCL version might be of interest I think there is much to
> be learned by trying to port and properly document the algorithms.

Hi,

as fare as I understand the package (havn't though done much with it, so I
might be wrong), it is designed for very "practical" purpose (ie
phenomenology.) Many problems can be subsummarized in a larger frame of
mathematics. Given the type system of AXIOM, it would be, in my eyes, a
fraud to implement something like "Dirac matrixes" and trace rules, while
this is a closed structure in a *-autonomous category. However, I am still
not able myself to give AXIOM code for such a vast general thing.

Most CAS do _not_ document actual algorithms. Its even very difficult (as
a non expert)= to find/lookup the currently favored algorithms (for say
comparison with own better(?) ones). So I consider the pamphlet idea to be
one of the most important of AXIOM and would support a FeynCalc package
iff its really _fully_ documented via pamphlet format _including_ all
algorithmical details.

ciao
BF.

% PD Dr Bertfried Fauser
%       Institution: Max Planck Institut for Mathematics Leipzig
<http://www.mis.mpg.de>
%       Privat Docent: University of Konstanz, Physics Dept
<http://www.uni-konstanz.de>
% contact |->    URL : http://clifford.physik.uni-konstanz.de/~fauser/
%              Phone : Leipzig +49 341 9959 735  Konstanz +49 7531 693491