Re: [Axiom-developer] OpenMath

From: root
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] OpenMath
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 11:25:48 -0400

I agree that the notebook form is painful and limited for some
things but it clearly has the attention of users. I want much
more from the user interface. I'm sure there will be better
ideas when we reach the 30 year horizon but what will they be?

Frankly, I'd like a user interface that knows much more about
the mathematics, both for specific domain lookup (ala the javadoc
hierarchy) so that I can find information about a domain and the
categories it belongs to, the lattice of types where it resides,
the pamphlets that are related to it, the published papers where
it is referenced, and websites that are related.

I also want the user interface to know much more about the user's
intentions, by watching what the user is doing. I know this sounds
a lot like clippy but in the long term I can fork off whole processors
to scan the mathematics literature. In the short term I want the user
interface to experiement with collecting and representing information
about the task I'm trying to do.

The user interface needs to know about the language and the compiler
and it needs to know examples of the functions I'm trying to call.

All of which means that there needs to be a great deal of information
provided by Axiom to the front-end and tight coupling to things like
context-sensitive menu items.

I suggest we form a plan that addresses all of the concerns
e.g. mathml, openmath, notebook-like, texmacs, tex, ps, pdf,
pamphlets, etc.

If we target the texmacs codebase we could likely get help from them
and also benefit both of us.