[Axiom-developer] Fedora and Literate Programming

From: Tim Daly
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Fedora and Literate Programming
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 14:03:51 -0500

*,

I've been reading about your Fedora project. As I understand it the
project is an effort to create a digital repository architecture.

I'm the lead developer on Axiom, a large, general purpose computer algebra
system. Axiom has been rebuilt from the ground up to use literate programming.
That is, the system is now able to mix research and technical papers with
runnable code. Every file in the system is now a TeX document and C, lisp,
boot, Makefiles, and algebra code are all dynamically extracted during build.

We're designing the new Axiom system with a 30-year planning horizon.
Thus we are looking for ways to support Computational Mathematics as
a separate discipline. Clearly we need to incorporate ways to integrate
multimedia as well as research papers, algorithm descriptions, and
executable code into some well thought out platform. For teaching
purposes we should be able to interact with net-based resources like
MIT's Open Courseware (ocw.mit.edu) project.

Your project offers an interesting look at a possible back-end architecture
for Axiom. We could consider subsuming all of the literate programming,
current compiled objects, and databases into a Fedora repository as well
as research and video lectures.

If one of you feel this is an interesting idea I'd like to have a phone
conversation to discuss possible directions. Please contact me at:

Tim Daly
address@hidden