[Axiom-developer] autoload

From: Tim Daly
Subject: [Axiom-developer] autoload
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 12:53:13 -0500

Bill,

The autoload files fall into 3 categories: compiler code which is only
needed for developers, hypertex code which is only needed for documenation,
and NAG library code, which is unused at the moment.

The only reason you see this code loading a lot is that we are using
most of these facilities during the build. In actual use the code
rarely gets loaded.

In fact, though, the whole loading issue is due to history. It used to
be the case that Axiom needed to run in under a meg of memory so autoloading
was vital. It still is an issue because I'm trying to get it to run on a
Zaurus. But, in general, there is no reason why we couldn't load all of
the code AND the algebra into a single image and run it without the whole
algebra subdirectory and the databases (databases queries are cached after
the first read).

Tim