[Axiom-developer] Re: [Gcl-devel] make-databases

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: [Gcl-devel] make-databases
Date: 31 Oct 2003 10:51:25 -0500

Greetings!

root <address@hidden> writes:

> Camm,
>
> First, move to where the .NRLIB files are.
> The databases are built using the *.NRLIB/info files.
>
>   cd int/algebra
>
> Then start interpsys and give it the lisp command:
>
>   )lisp (make-databases "" nil) | (yourpath)/obj/bin/interpsys
>
> I'm still pondering your "split" request for database file loads.

Thanks, Tim.  Please feel free to say it is too difficult if that is
the case.  It is likely the shortest route to axiom on mips(el),
alpha, ia64, and hppa, but in principle we should build a bfd backend
for those targets at some point, and this may provide incentive :-).
The latter is a large task, and I likely will not have time for it
until 2004, but should be doable, though ugly.  The following page
describes the state of bfd relocation pretty well:

http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/info/insight/bfdint_6.html

Apparently these newer target machines are using the 'new linker'
mechanism which bypasses the bfd_get_relocated_section_contents
strategy we're using entirely.  Instead, they provide a 'backend'
specific 'relocate_section' function, an example call of which can be
found in the elflink.h file in the binutils/bfd subdir of the gcl
source tree.  While in principle such a call might work across the
board, it appears to use quite a few auxiliary structures which
require building before the call.  Energetic volunteers appreciated!
Perhaps if anyone feels motivated, they could fork the sfaslbfd.c file
into sfaslbfd_new.c, and rewrite the section relocation calls using
bfd's 'new' linker strategy.  (While I'm sure he is too busy, we do
have such a bfd-knowledgeable person on the gcl team, right Aurelian?
:-)).

Take care,