[Axiom-developer] readline and axiom

From: Page, Bill
Subject: [Axiom-developer] readline and axiom
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 09:58:28 -0500

Tim, Camm;

Am I confused over how readline is supposed to work
with GCL and Axiom?

Under the Windows version of GCL 2.6.1, I can enter
an expression like

  > (+ 1 1)

and then hit the up arrow key and make a change
say to

  > (+ 1 2)

and just hit enter to execute the edited line.

I have not been able to do the equivalent under Axiom.
When I press up arrow I get

  ^[0A

(^[ means "escape"?) which of course Axiom doesn't
understand.

And I have just tested the new GCL 2.6.1-16 built
with --enable-static and --enable-readline and I get
the same weird characters rather than the "readline"
behaviour that I expected.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there something that
has to be enabled in GCL as part of the startup?