[Axiom-developer] linux-static chunk

From: Tim Daly
Subject: [Axiom-developer] linux-static chunk
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 09:13:46 -0500

I'm sure you already know this but I'll write it down anyway.
The steps to take are:

A) CHANGES TO THE Makefile.pamphlet FILE:

*) copy the linux chunk and rename it to linux-static.
    This will set up almost all of the appropriate variables. The chunk
    that gets used is decided by the basename of the $AXIOM variable.
    So to select this new chunk you would make the AXIOM variable be:
  AXIOM=(yourpath)/axiom/mnt/linux-static
    This will create a Makefile.linux-static and invoke it.

*) modify the linux-static chunk to include a new make variable
     Something like
   STATIC=--enable-static

*) add this variable to the ENV variable
     This "passes" the variable down to the next level of Makefile
     which in this case is the lsp/Makefile. The reason this works
     is that you can generally set a shell variable on the same
     commandline as the call to make and the shell variables will
     be seen by the make. The change will look something like:
   ENV= ...... STATIC=${STATIC}

*) hardcode the GCLVERSION variable in the linux-static chunk
    GCLVERSION=gcl-2.6.1-static

*) add documentation to the new linux-static chunk to explain what
   you are doing and why.

*) run the document command on the top level Makefile.pamphlet thus:
    SPAD=$AXIOM
    PATH=$AXIOM/bin:$PATH
    document Makefile     (don't add the .pamphlet)

B) CHANGES TO THE zips DIRECTORY

*) add the gcl-2.6.1-16.tgz to zips

*) copy the zips/gcl-2.6.1*.patch files to zips/gcl-2.6.1-16*.patch

*) cvs add gcl-2.6.1-16*

C) CHANGES TO THE lsp/Makefile.pamphlet FILE

*) modify the lsp/Makefile.pamphlet
     so that the GCL configure line include ${STATIC}. Normally this
     will expand to the null string so it won't change the behavior
     of the normal build. When invoked from the Makefile.linux-static
     the STATIC variable will be defined and will expand to --enable-static.

*) document the change in the lsp/Makefile.pamphlet

D) CHANGES TO THE CHANGELOG FILE

*) add a comment to CHANGELOG

copy the whole pile, try a build, and when it works check it all in.

If you're really feeling ambitious you can go to www.testdrive.hp.com,
sign up for a password, and try it on several linux variants. I already
have a password so I'm likely to try it.

Tim