[Axiom-developer] Re: Axiom

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: Axiom
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 12:50:07 +0200 (CEST)

> An rpm is coming.

Great.

> Documentation is my highest priority (Bill Page
> did an Axiom tutorial using TeXmacs. Your feedback is welcome).

Will do.

> My schedule is more shortest-job-first so minor changes happen
> in a reasonable amount of time. I'm unskilled in making rpms
> so I have to try making a few first anyway.

Count between one day and two days of work.

> Re: configure
>
> I'll understand your point and will consider it further.

Thanks.

> Re: removing mnt/linux
>
> I suppose the "make install" should make the AXIOM variable disappear.

Yes, but it is good to have a directory structure which is as clean
as possible too. I see no point in having these useless unary directories
mnt and linux around in a binary tarball.

> Re: "last really stable version of gcc"
>
> Yeah, I understand. I'm in a struggle to compile Magnus which is a
> huge C++ program that died of code-rot because some damn fool
> decided to change the C++ language "standard". But my attitude is
> that you have to keep up with the changes so I really have no choice
> but to buy a new C++ book, get educated, and rewrite the code. Pain,
> pain, endless pain.

The point is that the whole gcc-3.* series has been *severely bugged*.
In my case, all code is conform to the previous and current C++,
but the new C++ optimizer just sucks. Things seem to improve a bit
in the very last versions though.