[Axiom-developer] Re: Axiom

From: root
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: Axiom
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 16:50:33 -0400

Joris,

RE: startup problem

You AXIOM variable is set wrong. You must have had a NAG version installed
at some point. Check your .bashrc file (or other shell startup file).
It is probably reset in there.

RE: binary version

We do have a binary version available but it only seems to work on Redhat 9.
Visit axiom.tenkan.org for the executable binary.

Does anyone know what would be needed to create a statically linked lisp?

RE: configure, make, make install

configure has nothing to do. You have to set the AXIOM variable.
We could include a configure shell script that prints "set the AXIOM variable".

make exists and is used.

I'll look into an "install" stanza in the root Makefile. Consider it a bug
until this gets fixed.

The whole "configure, make, make install" has an underlying assumption
that you are working in C. We're working mostly in Lisp. In theory I should
be using lisp defsystem rather than makefiles.

RE: failed compile.

The GCL 2.5.2 build failed. saved_gcl is the name of the gcl 2.5.2 lisp
executable. Make says "Commande introuvable" (which I can't translate).
Redhat 9 ships with GCC 3.2.2 whereas your GCC version is downlevel.
Even my Redhat 7.3 system shipped with GCC 2.96.

Tim