[Axiom-developer] Compilation problems

From: Dylan Thurston
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Compilation problems
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 15:20:11 -0400

(I tried sending this before, but it didn't seem to go through.)

I've been trying to compile the CVS version of axiom (because the
Debian package does not have COMBF.o), on my Debian installation.
Problems I've encountered so far (runing AXIOM=linux make):

(a) The makefiles seem to expect the directory
(top)/mnt/linux/src/algebra to exist already.

(b) creating the NRLIB files from the spad files fails, because
interpsys fails to run.  After some experimentation, it seems that
with the following environemnt variables set:

O=o AXIOMXLROOT=linux/compiler SPAD=/a/usr/local/src/axiom/mnt/linux
OBJ=/a/usr/local/src/axiom/obj SPD=/a/usr/local/src/axiom
MNT=/a/usr/local/src/axiom/mnt DAASE=/a/usr/local/src/axiom/src/share
INC=/a/usr/local/src/axiom/src/include LISP=lsp BYE=bye
SPADBIN=/a/usr/local/src/axiom/mnt/linux/bin AXIOM=linux

(where /usr/local/src/axiom is the top of the tree), interpsys finds
the daase files but fails to find the autloads: the makefile runs this
command:

(cd /a/usr/local/src/axiom/int/algebra ; echo ')co AHYP.spad' |
/a/usr/local/src/axiom/obj/linux/bin/interpsys )

which fails to find the autloads: interpsys ends with

   >> System error:
   Cannot open the file
/a/usr/local/src/axiom/int/algebra/./linux/algebra/linux/autoload/apply.

If I unset the AXIOM environment variable, interpsys gets farther.

Can someone who understands the Makefile better than me help me here?

Peace,
        Dylan