Re: [Axiom-developer] Upper and lower case problems

From: Dylan Thurston
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Upper and lower case problems
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 21:06:49 -0400

On Thu, Sep 04, 2003 at 06:41:53AM -0400, root wrote:
> In that case we'll just keep the case-insensitive form and
> warn people not to use upper case names in the path. The
> code within Axiom already deals with the case issue properly.
>
> I guess we could enable or disable case based on platform.
> I'll have to think about it.

I'm not sure which message you're replying to (since you neither keep
the Reply-To headers in your messages nor have you quoted sufficient
context) but the current behaviour is clearly wrong: it works on neither
case-sensitive nor case-insensitive platforms.  On case-sensitive
platforms, some paths are gratuitously downcased.  On case-insensitive
platforms, there are filename conflicts.  What reason is there ever to
downcase filenames?

Peace,
        Dylan