Re: [Axiom-developer] compiling the algebra files with gcl

From: root
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] compiling the algebra files with gcl
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 05:24:21 -0400

Camm,

re: gcl-2.5.4
I'd be happy to try the unpatched version.
Let me know when it is released and I'll download it.

re: debian package
The "standard" way to handle the various opsys/platform builds
is to change the AXIOM variable. The AXIOM variable's last
value (basename) selects the appropriate Makefile. Thus setting
AXIOM=/axiom/mnt/linux creates Makefile.linux.

Since we plan to run on all of the linux distribs we can you
raise an interesting point. The basename should be more specific
than linux. If you look in Makefile.pamphlet you'll find a
dozen or so potential basenames already. The top level Makefile.pamphlet
selects the appropriate one and makes a specific Makefile.

As to creating a debian subdir I'm a little reluctant. If it is
required than we can but I'd rather keep the system-specific
information in the Makefiles. What would go into the debian
subdir? If you consider the question in general rather than
specifically for debian is there a requirement for a new
subdir to contain platform-build specific stuff? There is a
src/scripts subdir intended for this already. The
src/scripts/Makefile.pamphlet could be customized for debian
and a debian subdir could occur there.

In any case, a new subdir should live under src, not at the root.
The idea of the src subdir is that you can clip off src and the
top level Makefile and have the whole distribution. You can clip
off mnt, move it anywhere, and have a working Axiom image.

Tim
address@hidden
address@hidden