Automation & algebra lattice (was: Re: [Axiom-developer] lattice)

From: David MENTRE
Subject: Automation & algebra lattice (was: Re: [Axiom-developer] lattice)
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 19:15:39 +0200

Hi Tim,

root <address@hidden> writes:

> The lattice is quite subtle in places. The hardest part is the size
> of the thing. ~1100 domains in ~375 files. Every time I set out to
> do anything like change the authors which takes less than 1 minute
> per file it turns into a several hour task. Some of the tasks took

I hope you use Perl to do such things like:

  perl -pi -e 's/Old Author/New Author/g' *.spad.pamphlet

> over an hour per domain. I've been at this task since January.
> I have much "back-checking" to do but I can do that after upload.
> (e.g. I have to check that the bootstrap code is current, a painfully
> slow process).

For such task (i.e. checking that bootstrap code is up-do-date regarding
generated .spad file), we could probably write some Perl scripts that
would automate it. I'm not saying it's easy, but it would be worth it
considering the size of the algebra.

BTW, regarding the algebra lattice, I have considered automatically
parsing .spad files to write dependencies in a file and then generate
the (currently cyclic) graph using free software tools like VCG
(Visualization of Compiler Graphs, [1]). The hairy
space-indentation-determines-code-blocks of SPAD files has stopped me
(and also my lack of knowledge in SPAD grammar) but, with a working
Axiom, it might be possible to hack the SPAD parser to output
dependencies. Producing the graph is then very easy.

Yours,
d.

[1] http://www.cs.uni-sb.de/RW/users/sander/html/gsvcg1.html
--