Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: Axiom on gcl 2.5.2 and powerpc: a first attemp

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: Axiom on gcl 2.5.2 and powerpc: a first attempt
Date: 05 May 2003 09:48:19 -0400

Greetings!  Yes, originally, gcl used pari for bignum support, and
this command was added to expand GCL's internal stack for this
interface.  I don't know exactly when GCL started using GMP instead --
I think it was toward the end of Dr. Shelter's life, as there were a
few unresolved issues left when we started work on 2.4, and which were
addressed in the patches 2.4.0 -> 2.4.4.  For a while the two options
appeared to coexist.  In fact, the hooks still exist in the code and
could probably be made to work without much fuss.  It just seems that
gmp is better in this regard, so we haven't worked on pari at all.  In
any case, the bignum memory allocation is now handled automatically.
Please let me know if this change causes any difficulty.

BTW, I tried briefly to look into your ring problem.  But, following
David's instructions, my build stops at INTERP.EXPOSED.  Any idea?

13 making /fix/s/camm/axiom/axiom/new/new/src/interp
make[3]: Entering directory `/fix/s/camm/axiom/axiom/new/new/src/interp'
make[3]: *** No rule to make target
`/fix/s/camm/axiom/axiom/new/new/src/algebra/INTERP.EXPOSED', needed by
`/fix/s/camm/axiom/axiom/new/new/mnt/linux/algebra/INTERP.EXPOSED'.  Stop.
make[3]: Leaving directory `/fix/s/camm/axiom/axiom/new/new/src/interp'

Take care,