Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: Axiom next release

From: David MENTRE
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: Axiom next release
Date: 05 Mar 2003 18:12:52 +0100

Hello,

root <address@hidden> writes:

> The most useful thing we need is to try to port the system to
> another platform. It is a huge job in general as some of the
> later parts are in C. This part should work provided you can
> get latex, noweb, and gcl to compile and have various tools
> like make, patch, ar, cp, tar, etc available.

I have started a port of Axiom to GNU/Linux PowerPC (a Debian 3.0r1).

I have compiled successfully GCL 2.5.1 and made the relevant patches to
make gcl compile into axiom. The only exception is the patch about
XDR. When I tried en 2.5.0CVS version of GCL I was unable to compile
GCL. I have not retried on GCL 2.5.1.

Now, I'm stuck in the compilation of axiom itself. I have an error when
compiling new/new/int/boot/boothdr.lisp:

Compiling boothdr.lisp.

Error: A package error occurred on BOOTTRAN: "No such package".
Fast links are on: do (si::use-fast-links nil) for debugging
Error signalled by IN-PACKAGE.
Backtrace: compiler::t1expr > system:error-set > eval > eval > IN-PACKAGE
; (IN-PACKAGE 'BOOTTRAN ...) is being compiled.
;;; The form (IN-PACKAGE 'BOOTTRAN :USE '(LISP USER SYSTEM)) was not evaluated
successfully.
;;; You are recommended to compile again.
No FASL generated.

I have probably not compiled GCL properly. If anybody as an explanation,
it would be very helpful. As I'm new to Lisp, I would also interested in
ways to analyze this kind of bug.

To redo my work:

 1. apply the patch below (the usual 'cd axiom-to-be-patched/; patch -p1
    < the-patch') on an axiom directory

 2. get a copy of ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/gcl/gcl-2.5.1.tar.gz and put
    it into new/new/zips/ directory.

 3. build axiom as usual (define AXIOM environment variable; modify
    Makefile, Makefile.linux, and
    new/new/src/interp/debugsys.lisp.pamphlet; make)

Best regards,
d.
--
 address@hidden