Re: [Axiom-developer] FreeBSD...Re: Axiom

From: Bill Page
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] FreeBSD...Re: Axiom
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 13:38:09 -0500

Tim,

There is another problem, which I have so far neglected
to mention in our conversations, that occurs if you
attempt to use a different install path than

  /home/axiomgnu/new

There are several places in the current pamphlet files
where this directory name is hard coded and does not
depend on the environment variables. In order to get it
to compile on my system, I had to create this directory.
After downloading the files from cvs at tenkan I also
had to fix the problem of the /new/new/ path so that the
contents and sub-directoys of

  .../axiom/new/new

ended up in

  /home/axiomgnu/new

( e.g. mv /whereever/axiom/new/new /home/axiom )

Then on my Linux box, at least the make process goes
right through to bootsys.

At least some of the places that the hardcoding occurs
is in the LaTex style file names. You might want to do

  find ... | grep '/home/axiomgnu'

command to locate all of these (and a few others) I think.

Let me if you would like help with this.

Also, in the fix for the use of strip in windows systems,
I think a better solution than the one I implemented would
be to introduce a new environment variable for the extension
that is automatically assigned by gcc under Windows (both
Cygwin and Msys). Say $EXE, which would be set to null
in the platform specific files for unix installations and
set to ".exe" for Windows. Then whereever strip x occurs
in the make files, we would need to write strip x${EXE}.

Shall I make this change in what I have now and upload it
to tenkan?