[Axiom-developer] Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: GCL on Cygwin for Axiom

From: Mike Thomas
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: GCL on Cygwin for Axiom
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 13:54:11 +1000

Hi Bill.

> Ok, I have no particularly strong reason to continue
> with Cygwin. My current goal is to support the open
> source version of Axiom with both Codemist CCL and GCL
> on a Windows platform and I just considered Cygwin as
> a logical "half-way" point.

It may be worth your while to also consider CLISP and Corman Common Lisp.

> Since GCL can already be built on both Linux and Windows
> (with mingw), the only problem is CCL. CCL should be
> relatively easy to port, but my initial worry would
> be the use of SUN rpc in CCL. I am quite sure there is
> no port of this version of rpc to native Windows, is
> there? I even had trouble finding one that works with
> Cygwin.

http://www.plt.rwth-aachen.de/ks/english/oncrpc.html

I once built this package with Mingw32 for the pre-agreed price of a packet
of potato chips for my youngest daughter as a result of a mialing list
discussion about open source programming.  (These duly arrived by surface
mail several months later along with other yummy tidbits and a reply package
is on it's way!)

I haven't used it as I have no interest in such things so I can't claim it
will meet your needs, but try it out.  I can package and send the prebuilt
version if you wish.

> But I suppose there
> is no reason (in principle) why one could not support
> TeXmacs under Cygwin with access to the Windows native
> version of Axiom.

In principle (I don't know what TeXMacs is) that should be fine and is one
of the beauties of using a native Windows build of Axiom rather than getting
hooked on the Cygwin dll.

Best of luck

Mike Thomas.