[Axiom-developer] Catch 22

From: root
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Catch 22
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 19:45:52 -0500

Norman,

I've got a catch 22 going on and perhaps you can suggest a better solution.

Lets suppose I have a literate program P that documents a Java program.
P contains several classes. In order to construct P from the P.nw file
I need a makefile to automate the extraction. The makefile contains
lines like:

extract:
        notangle -Rfoo.java P.nw >foo.java
        notangle -Rbar.java P.nw >bar.java

etc...

Being a fan of literate programming the Makefile is also literate
so to extract it we need to say

        notangle Makefile.nw >Makefile

Now if I want to send you a literate program you get 2 files,
P.nw and Makefile.nw. I'm trying to figure out a way to reduce
this to one file with the idea that I can embed the Makefile
into P. Thus, I'd like to incant:

       notangle -withMakefile P.nw
       make

so that the -withMakefile would look for the <<Makefile>> tag
and extract it.

This almost works now except that the steps are more tedious
and I've taken to keeping the files separate. Is this a reasonable
modification? Would others find it useful? I feel it would be
elegant to just send one file rather than two.

Tim