Re: [avrdude-dev] Problem with TPI and "serbb" mode

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Problem with TPI and "serbb" mode
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2019 22:48:31 +0100

Am 20. März 2019 16:55:36 MEZ schrieb David Mosberger <address@hidden>:

>With the patches in 9327 <https://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/?9327> and
>9328
><https://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/?9328>, it's possible to program an
>ATtiny10 chip in about 2 seconds on Linux and about 5 seconds on
>Windows
>using pretty much any FTDI chip.

OK.  Well, most TPI chips are quite small anyway, so that's certainly tolerable.

My only concern with these patches is the D2XX driver. First, it is only
available for some of  the OSes AVRDUDE runs on.

More importantly, it is closed-source (correct me if I'm wrong), so we are not
allowed to include it as long as the project is hosted at the FSF. I'm not sure
about the source code itself, but at the very least, I could not provide
Windows binaries that require the user to install closed-source software first.
(Is linking GPL'ed software against such a library legal at all?, assuming the
binary is to be redistributed.)

An I correct the TPI patches itself will also workk without D2XX?