Re: [avrdude-dev] "probably" m16m1?

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] "probably" m16m1?
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2016 09:19:27 +0200

As Rick Mann wrote:

> avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e9484 (probably m16m1)
>
> Why does it say "probably"? I've defined the part in my .avrduderc.

Because the reverse lookup is not guaranteed to be unique.  There
is no requirement that all devices in avrdude.conf have a unique
signature, so during reverse lookup, only the first of them might
be found if there's more than one.

One example of two different devices with identical signatures
is AT90PWM2 and AT90PWM3.  More of them would appear if we started
adding all those "A" devices (ATmega16A etc.) which are unmodified
die-shrink versions of their ancestors.
--
cheers, Joerg               .-.-.   --... ...--   -.. .  DL8DTL

http://www.sax.de/~joerg/