[avrdude-dev] ATmega stopped responding when fuses set to crystal

From: Rick Mann
Subject: [avrdude-dev] ATmega stopped responding when fuses set to crystal
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2016 00:35:40 -0700

I finally got my ATmega16m1 responding to avrdude/avrisp mkii, with the default
fuses.

I added an 8 MHz ceramic resonator to the board, and programmed these fuses:
low: 0xED, hight 0x99

Now it won't respond to avrdude:

avrdude: stk500v2_command(): command failed
avrdude: stk500v2_program_enable(): bad AVRISPmkII connection status: Unknown
status 0x00
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1

Poking at it with an oscilloscope, I see a nice 8 MHz sinusoid on the resonator
pins. The SCK and MOSI burst nice clean square waves. MISO seems to just go
high, but not quite all the way. Looks like one high pulse to 2.5 V.

OH! I just noticed. Reset looks good until I try to communicate. Then it turns
to shit, even after the transaction is done. Then it has a dirty square wave of
about 1.8 kHz, and it's coming from the AVRISP MkII.

Everything else looks good. Power's steady.

Any idea what might be wrong? Thanks.

--
Rick Mann
address@hidden