Re: [avrdude-dev] AVRDUDE+libusb, compiling and running on Windows

From: Jason Hecker
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] AVRDUDE+libusb, compiling and running on Windows
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2014 09:15:52 +1000

I too am having (mental) issues building avrdude for Win32 using
mingw32/msys.  I *used* to be able to build and use it for supporting ftdi.

I have:

   - Run Zadig to install the necessary libusb DLLs.
   - Copied over lusb0_usb.h to the mingw32 include path.
   - From the premade stuff in libftdi_0.20git_win32.zip copied to mingw32
   paths the libftdi.h header and the associated .a library files files.

Configure reports the following:
checking build system type... i686-pc-mingw32
checking host system type... i686-pc-mingw32
checking target system type... i686-pc-mingw32
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /bin/install -c
checking for gawk... gawk
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for C compiler default output file name... a.exe
checking for suffix of executables... .exe
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for a sed that does not truncate output... /bin/sed
checking for bison... bison -y
checking for flex... flex
checking lex output file root... lex.yy
checking lex library... none needed
checking whether yytext is a pointer... no
checking for -ranlib... no
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for -ar... no
checking for ar... ar
checking whether yylex_destroy is generated by flex... version 2.5.35 => yes
checking whether gcc and cc understand -c and -o together... yes
checking for tputs in -ltermcap... no
checking for tputs in -lncurses... no
checking for readline in -lreadline... no
checking for elf_getshdrstrndx in -lelf... yes
checking for egrep... /bin/grep -E
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking libelf.h usability... no
checking libelf.h presence... no
checking for libelf.h... no
checking libelf/libelf.h usability... yes
checking libelf/libelf.h presence... yes
checking for libelf/libelf.h... yes
checking for library containing gethostent... no
checking for library containing setsockopt... no
checking for usb_get_string_simple in -lusb... yes
checking usb.h usability... no
checking usb.h presence... no
checking for usb.h... no
checking lusb0_usb.h usability... yes
checking lusb0_usb.h presence... yes
checking for lusb0_usb.h... yes
checking for libusb_init in -lusb-1.0... no
checking for libusb_init in -lusb... no
checking for ftdi_new in -lftdi1... no
checking for ftdi_usb_get_strings in -lftdi... yes
checking whether TYPE_232H is declared... no
checking pthread.h usability... yes
checking pthread.h presence... yes
checking for pthread.h... yes
checking for pthread_create in -lpthread... yes
checking limits.h usability... yes
checking limits.h presence... yes
checking for limits.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... (cached) yes
checking for string.h... (cached) yes
checking fcntl.h usability... yes
checking fcntl.h presence... yes
checking for fcntl.h... yes
checking sys/ioctl.h usability... no
checking sys/ioctl.h presence... no
checking for sys/ioctl.h... no
checking sys/time.h usability... yes
checking sys/time.h presence... yes
checking for sys/time.h... yes
checking termios.h usability... no
checking termios.h presence... no
checking for termios.h... no
checking for unistd.h... (cached) yes
checking for ddk/hidsdi.h... yes
checking whether time.h and sys/time.h may both be included... yes
checking for memset... yes
checking for select... no
checking for strcasecmp... no
checking for strdup... yes
checking for strerror... yes
checking for strncasecmp... no
checking for strtol... yes
checking for strtoul... yes
checking for gettimeofday... yes
checking for usleep... yes
checking for a Win32 HID libray... yes
checking for uint_t... no
checking for ulong_t... no
checking for parallel device... lpt1
checking for serial device... com1
checking if gcc accepts -Wno-pointer-sign ... yes
checking if gcc accepts -mno-cygwin... no
configure: Your compiler does not understand the -mno-cygwin option.
configure: You might want to select an alternative compiler, like
configure:
configure: CC=mingw32-gcc ./configure
configure:
checking if linker accepts -static... yes
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating doc/Makefile
config.status: creating windows/Makefile
config.status: creating avrdude.spec
config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: creating avrdude.conf.tmp
config.status: creating ac_cfg.h

Configuration summary:
----------------------
DO HAVE    libelf
DO HAVE    libusb
DON'T HAVE libusb_1_0
DON'T HAVE libftdi1
DO HAVE    libftdi
DO HAVE    libhid
DO HAVE    pthread
DISABLED   doc
ENABLED    parport
DISABLED   linuxgpio

   - Running make produces an avrdude.exe with all the following .o files
   generated:

avrdude-main.o              libavrdude_a-linuxgpio.o
avrdude-term.o              libavrdude_a-lists.o
libavrdude_a-arduino.o      libavrdude_a-par.o
libavrdude_a-avr.o          libavrdude_a-pgm.o
libavrdude_a-avr910.o       libavrdude_a-pgm_type.o
libavrdude_a-avrftdi.o      libavrdude_a-pickit2.o
libavrdude_a-avrftdi_tpi.o  libavrdude_a-pindefs.o
libavrdude_a-avrpart.o      libavrdude_a-ppi.o
libavrdude_a-bitbang.o      libavrdude_a-ppiwin.o
libavrdude_a-buspirate.o    libavrdude_a-safemode.o
libavrdude_a-butterfly.o    libavrdude_a-ser_avrdoper.o
libavrdude_a-config.o       libavrdude_a-ser_posix.o
libavrdude_a-config_gram.o  libavrdude_a-ser_win32.o
libavrdude_a-confwin.o      libavrdude_a-serbb_posix.o
libavrdude_a-crc16.o        libavrdude_a-serbb_win32.o
libavrdude_a-dfu.o          libavrdude_a-stk500.o
libavrdude_a-fileio.o       libavrdude_a-stk500generic.o
libavrdude_a-flip1.o        libavrdude_a-stk500v2.o
libavrdude_a-flip2.o        libavrdude_a-update.o
libavrdude_a-ft245r.o       libavrdude_a-usb_libusb.o
libavrdude_a-jtag3.o        libavrdude_a-usbasp.o
libavrdude_a-jtagmkI.o      libavrdude_a-usbtiny.o
libavrdude_a-jtagmkII.o     libavrdude_a-wiring.o
libavrdude_a-lexer.o

   - Running avrdude produces an error asking for libusb/libftdi to be
   configured.

c:\Temp\trunk\avrdude>avrdude -c um232h -p m1280 -v -b 3750000 -U
flash:w:PreEmp
t.hex -v -v

avrdude: Version 6.1-20140313, compiled on Apr 12 2014 at 09:09:37
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
         Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

         System wide configuration file is
"c:\Temp\trunk\avrdude\avrdude.conf"

         Using Port                    : lpt1
         Using Programmer              : um232h
         Overriding Baud Rate          : 3750000
avrdude: Error: no libftdi or libusb support. Install libftdi1/libusb-1.0
or lib
ftdi/libusb and run configure/make again.

avrdude done.  Thank you.

The error about no libftdi or libusb support is throwing me.  It seems like
there is something broken in the build logic or have I missed a vital step?

Jason Hecker