[avrdude-dev] [bug #41357] OS X: Avrdude messes with the usb stack?

From: Juergen Eckert
Subject: [avrdude-dev] [bug #41357] OS X: Avrdude messes with the usb stack?
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2014 20:45:32 +0000

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
         Originator Name: Juergen Eckert
        Originator Email:
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any

Details:

Mac OSX 10.9.1
Eclipse: 20130919-0819
AVR Plugin: 2.4.1
AVRDude: 6.0.1 (CrossPack-AVR-20131216)
AVR ISP: Dragon and MKII

Hi,

if a programming attempt fails (e.g. due to an unconnected ISP) it happens
that the USB bus of the whole system gets a reset (in approximately 50% of the
cases). Keyboard, mouse, and the rest is not functional for a few seconds.
However, the main problem is that the USB programmer does not get recognized
anymore. The only solution I have is rebooting (annoying). (Note: rebooting
takes twice the usual time.)

The output:

>avrdude: jtagmkII_setparm(): bad response to set parameter command:
RSP_FAILED
>avrdude: jtagmkII_getsync(): ISP activation failed, trying debugWire
>avrdude: jtagmkII_setparm(): bad response to set parameter command:
RSP_NO_TARGET_POWER
>avrdude: failed to sync with the AVR Dragon in ISP mode

Which is normal because I disconnected the target board. However with a
probability of 50% a reset occurs on the USB bus and the programmer is
unaccessable (replugging is useless). The next attempts until the next system
reboot (!!) looks like:

>avrdude: usbdev_open(): did not find any USB device "usb"

The system does not recognize the programmer until the next reboot.

The problem only occurs if I try to upload the sketch using the
avr-eclipse-plugin. I already reported this:
https://sourceforge.net/p/avr-eclipse/bugs/66/ and came up with a
man-in-the-middle like script which solves the problem.

I don't know what is causing the problem. The plugin, avrdude, or libusb. Or
why the script seems to be a workaround. However, I find it very
strange/disturbing that it can crash the usb stack like this...

I tried it with two different MACs and two different ISPs. Always with the
same result.

Greetinx
Juergen

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?41357>