Re: [avrdude-dev] [bug #40061] avrdude -U fails to save final FF bytes.

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] [bug #40061] avrdude -U fails to save final FF bytes.
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 00:08:21 +0200

As René Liebscher wrote:

> One of Bob's points was "It is clear that avrdude and its images are
> useless for verification, since they actively prevent all bytes from
> being verified. "
>
> I did not check this, but I always thought avrdude would verify the 0xFF
> if the input files contain them.

Yes, it does, albeit only version 6+ compares exactly those bytes that
are mentioned in the file.  Version < 6 did also assume all bytes not
mentioned in the file as 0xFF, and programmed and verified them.  This
was particularly annoying for bootloaders, where it went over all the
application area, too.

> #2 I think 'R' would be nice to have.

OK, Simone also voted for this.

> #3 Using pagesize sounds reasonable. And if someone uses an ancient avr
> device that does not have pages, so he gets all the 0xFF bytes (page
> size = memory size).

Good idea.

--
cheers, Joerg               .-.-.   --... ...--   -.. .  DL8DTL

http://www.sax.de/~joerg/