[avrdude-dev] avr109-device can't be reset via libusb

From: Anton Smirnov
Subject: [avrdude-dev] avr109-device can't be reset via libusb
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 20:01:30 +0600

Hey!

I'm modifying avrdude to work using libusb + avr109 - Arduino
Micro/Leonardo board.

So i've commented "butterfly.c" reset code:

      char mk_reset_cmd[6] = {"address@hidden"};
      unsigned char mk_timeout = 0;

      putc('.', stderr);
      butterfly_send(pgm, mk_reset_cmd, sizeof(mk_reset_cmd));
      usleep(20000);

to set baud rate 1200 and close (according to Arduino Micro description at
http://arduino.cc/en/Main/arduinoBoardMicro):
"Automatic (Software) Reset and Bootloader Initiation
Rather than requiring a physical press of the reset button before an
upload, the Micro is designed in a way that allows it to be reset by
software running on a connected computer. The reset is triggered when the
Micro's virtual (CDC) serial / COM port is opened at 1200 baud and then
closed."

I can see RX LED on the board is blinking, but it does not look like reset
and bootloaders does not reply after it.

So the questions are:
1. why default reset command looks like that (char mk_reset_cmd[6] =
{"address@hidden"})
?
2. what can be the reason for it to not reset via libusb?

I assume baud rate is set correctly as i used tested CDC-code.

PS. I've also wrote java test (with RXTX serial lib) that opens the port,
sets baud rate 1200 and closes the port and the board is reset as expected.
So it works from pc/mac for sure.

Thanks in advance,
Anton.