Re: [avrdude-dev] Autoreset for Arduino Micro (Butterfly)

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Autoreset for Arduino Micro (Butterfly)
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 16:06:21 +0200

As Anton Smirnov wrote:

(I cannot comment on the Arduino stuff.)

> PS. BTW I've seen some emails on "AVR109 not working" and related topics so
> was it working in release 5.11 (i don't want to update as i have some
> changes) or i have to update?

There is one thing that was broken (all the time), it's handling all
the flash addresses.  They are supposed to be provided as 16-bit word
addresses, but have been specified as byte addresses.

However, up to 5.11.1 (including), this bug did not manifest itself.
AVRDUDE always started at address 0 anyway there, and the
auto-increment feature correctly incremented the current address
inside the bootloader anyway.

Only starting with recent changes in SVN, AVRDUDE now calls the
write_page() method once per page (instead of once per memory region
before), and only for those pages that have actual data loaded from an
input file.  That's why the bug started to became obvious now.

If you are serious about adding features to the code base, please get
the SVN trunk, and start over from there.  Many things have changed
compared to 5.11.1, so otherwise, you might end up doing the work
twice.

The second thing is bug report #37997:

https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?37997

As you can see from my latest comments, I suspect the originator of
this bug report confused avr109 (aka. butterfly mode, i. e. the
bootloader implementation) with avr910 (the standalone programmer).
Both protocols are very close so the mistake doesn't become obvious
immediately, and in addition, until AVRDUDE 5.3, it probably worked
even when using the wrong programmer type.
--
cheers, Joerg               .-.-.   --... ...--   -.. .  DL8DTL

http://www.sax.de/~joerg/