Re: [avrdude-dev] “Not a typewriter” avrdude error on Android

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] “Not a typewriter” avrdude error on Android
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2013 10:45:10 +0200

As Anton Smirnov wrote:

> > Only the underlying driver knows how to e.g. talk to the serial
> > emulation device at the other end of the USB in order to adjust
> > baudrates, control signals etc.

> Okay, so now the question is what is this file descriptor and how
> can it be used in native code. Even Android seems to be not
> documented enough..

You'd end up in reimplementing (parts of) a serial device emulation
in AVRDUDE.  I don't think this is a useful approach.

It's completely independent of whether you're using STK500v1 or
STK500v2: both want to set a baudrate initially.

Of course, you can try skipping all the baudrate stuff in AVRDUDE
if you believe it's not necessary, and go ahead using read() and
write() calls on that descriptor.  If the descriptor belongs to
a plain USB device, I doubt that will work though.
--
cheers, Joerg               .-.-.   --... ...--   -.. .  DL8DTL

http://www.sax.de/~joerg/