Re: [avrdude-dev] Build error with SVN trunk

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Build error with SVN trunk
Date: Fri, 17 May 2013 10:34:44 +0200

As Hannes Weisbach wrote:

> >> There was already a check in configure, which is now reactivated.

> Which is not necessary, since avrftdi requires libftdi-1.0 and
> libftdi-1.0 declares TYPE_232H. This masks an error, where
> libftdi-0.x is erroneously recognized as libftdi-1.0.  I made the
> change to libftdi-1.0 because I want to use asynchronous transfers
> in the future. Plus libftdi-0.x has not been updated since 9 months,
> so I consider it deprecated.

I disagree.  9 months is nothing in opensource-land.  FreeBSD's
libftdi port is still at 0.20, so please don't break support for older
libftdi versions unless really necessary.  (I can take over the
testing part for that if you want, I've got an FT2232D board and an
FT232H sample module to try with.)

Just have a look at our own release history:

5.5  2007-10
5.6  2009-02
5.8  2010-01
5.10 2010-01 (apparently, I've been so annoyed about a showstopper
              bug in 5.8 that I accidentally skipped 5.9 ;)
5.11 2011-08
6.0  2013-06 ?

As you can see, about 1.5 years between releases are not unusual.
Thus, arguing that some library has not been updated for 9 months is
not useful, IMHO.  Besides, something not being *updated* for a while
can mean it's just good enough for the job, has no known bugs, and is
thus stable.  Not everything on earths suffers from creeping
featurism. ;-)

--
cheers, Joerg               .-.-.   --... ...--   -.. .  DL8DTL

http://www.sax.de/~joerg/