Re: [avrdude-dev] [bug #37812] STK500V2 not programming "blank" pages wh

From: Stuart Cording
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] [bug #37812] STK500V2 not programming "blank" pages when not erasing flash (-D)
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2013 08:14:14 +0100

Hi All,

I agree with Jörg. The preferred Arduino bootloader, optiboot, chooses not
to fulfill the full range of features of the programming protocol. That is
their choice and, IMHO, a good choice at that. Why? It meets the needs of
their target user group who overwhelmingly are not professional
programmers. They want to be able to program an Arduino (not an AVR!).

Changes should be made to help the majority of user's lives to be
bug/failure/problem free. I am not sure that the majority of Arduino users
would understand the issue here, let alone be able to make an informed
choice as to whether they need the change.

Just to clarify: I use the term "Arduino User" not in a derogatory fashion;
I use it merely to highlight that they are typically not professional, MCU
embedded developers who would willingly choose to program an AVR
"bare-metal".

That was my two cents - bill is in the Post :o)

Herr Stuart Cording BEng (Hons)
Penckstr. 1
80995 München
Tel: 089 80077609