Re: [avrdude-dev] [patch #7931] Extended parameters to specify usbtiny U

From: Rene Liebscher
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] [patch #7931] Extended parameters to specify usbtiny USB VID/PID
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 07:53:39 +0100

Hi,

reading it from the config file does not mean you have to patch
avrdude.conf. The current version in svn supports the command line option
-C+<filename> (note the '+') which lets avrdude read that file after the
default system or user configuration.

So if you create a new programmer with different VID/PID just put your
single entry in a separate file and give its filename as command line
option. (Also any update of avrdude and its conf won't destroy your entry
as it is in a separate file.)

May be we should promote this -C+ feature (and parent classes in conf file)
a little bit. If people do not need to patch avrdude.conf, but just write a
single entry for new programmers (as long the existing code can handle it)
or new device, one could think to collect these snippets at a webpage (a
table/list in a wiki would be more comfortable to read and update than to
check a lot of entries in the patch tracker) for easy download until they
are included in the main avrdude.conf.

Kind regards

René Liebscher