Re: [avrdude-dev] Performance of programming via MPSEE

From: Hannes Weisbach
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Performance of programming via MPSEE
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 20:18:12 +0200

Am 13.08.2012 um 20:08 schrieb Ing. Daniel RozsnyĆ³:

> Hi,
>  I finally get my onboard programming via FT2232HL to work (on previous 5.11
> release, there was a random verification failure, todays svn is ok).
Yes, I fixed them ;)

>  Are there any switches to tune the performance of the MPSEE mode? My mcu
> runs at 16M, so clock throttling should not be required.

Yes. You can adjust the frequency with -b. The default is 150kHz (I think), so
it is quite slow. But it needs to be that slow by default, so that all factory
devices work - even with bad cabling ;). The maximum ISP clock with 16MHz
crystal should be 4MHz, so the maximum for you should be -b 4000000. Depeding
on the quality of your programming cable (lead inductance, ground connection,
etc) your mileage may vary. Try starting with -b 1000000. Would you be so kind
as to report some performance figures back?

> Note:
>  I specially connected the USB cable to a motherboard port (as my USB hub
> somehow slows down all transfers - e.g. to a card reader).
It's probably a USB 1.1 Hub (12MBit/s vs 480 of USB 2.0).

Best regards,
Hannes