[avrdude-dev] Opcode for poll RDY/#BSY

From: Hannes Weisbach
Subject: [avrdude-dev] Opcode for poll RDY/#BSY
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 13:56:58 +0200

Hello,

while polishing avrftdi code and looking through some AVR datasheets, I came
across "Poll RDY/#BSY" opcode in the serial programming instruction set.
This command would solve timing issues in avrftdi, so I looked the opcode up in
the avrdude source code, but I could not find it. Apparently, it is not
implemented.
Now, I have two questions:
Is there a specific reason - other than that it was not needed before - for not
implementing it?
Have all (reasonably recent) AVR parts this opcode? I checked for
ATmega[640,1280,..], PWM[2|3][B], ATtiny 13, which do have this instruction -
ATmega 32(L) and 128(L) don't have this instruction (Or is it not documented?).
At least for parts, who have this instruction, the timing issues could be
resolved rather elegantly.

Best regards,
Hannes