[avrdude-dev] Problems with avrdude 5.11+

From: Bill O'Neill
Subject: [avrdude-dev] Problems with avrdude 5.11+
Date: Sat, 19 May 2012 15:48:38 -0400

So, over to the list...

Hi All,

Here is a quick satatement of the problem.

When using avrdude 5.11 or 5.11.1 under Windows XP to program the flash memory on a ATmega328P using either a ponsyser programmer or USBtinyISP programmer it fails verification. Incorrect data is being written to the device.

The input and output files are here:
http://users.vianet.ca/omegamic/avrdude_test/

test_input.hex is the file being written to the device.

dump_ponyser.hex is what got written by the ponyser bit-bang programmer.

dump_usbtiny.hex is what got written by the USBtinyISP programmer.

Here are some interesting facts:

1) The problem does not occur with avrdude 5.4 (I only have 5.4, 5.11 and 5.11.1 at my disposal, so I do not know which version the problem got introduced) 2) The problem does not occur with a programmer emulating an STK500 (so this maybe protocol related) 3) The problem does not occur on a faster system (I have not yet tested a slower system, but will try to if anyone thinks this might help)
4) The ponyser programmer creates far more errors
5) The errors in each case appear at the begining of a record
6) In the vast majority of the cases, the incorrect data written is the 2nd last byte or last 2 bytes of the previous record

Anyone have any ideas?
Bill O'Neill

Aztec MCU Prototyping
www.aztecmcu.com