Re: [avrdude-dev] Include GPIO sysfs patch in next release?

From: Benjamin Henrion
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Include GPIO sysfs patch in next release?
Date: Fri, 11 May 2012 15:56:36 +0200

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 3:29 PM, Joerg Wunsch <address@hidden> wrote:
> As Benjamin Henrion wrote:
>
>> Sure, but that does not mean because it is a minority that it should
>> not go in.
>
> I did not say so, but it's reducing its priority, compared to things
> that are important for every AVRDUDE user.  If you look in the patch
> trackers, there are many things around waiting for integration, but
> our (i.e., the maintainers') time is finite, so we have to prioritize,
> at least mentally.
>
>> I will write a blog post on how it works for me.
>
> A blog post is *not* documentation to me.  (It might be useful in
> addition to regular documentation, no question.)
>
> I need at least one of the two documentation files (avrdude.1, and
> docs/avrdude.texi) patched, preferrably both.  Both could use the same
> wording, of course, and if someone cannot test one of them due to the
> lack of tools (like the texinfo suite), the patch could be made
> "blindly", just indicate this in the patch description.
>
>> Right now I have a gentoo ebuild + patch-for-gpio file, it works.
>
> I never indicated any doubts about its functionality.
>
>> > Would someone be willing to add documentation for it? My main goal
>> > for AVRDUDE 6.0 is to fix all of the outstanding Xmega issues, and all
>> > my available resources are tied up with this.
>
>> Yes, the gpio enabling requires some commands to enable them, but
>> that's 4 shell commands to expose the GPIOs in /sys/class/gpio.
>
> I cannot see the relation between your statement, and the text you
> quoted from me.
>
> I wrote that my time until AVRDUDE 6.0 is tied up with fixing various
> Xmega stuff (I've been shoving in front of me for too long already),
> so I don't have free cycles to write the documentation patch myself.
>
> You are replying something about shell commands ...
>
>> > Besides, I wonder whether the --enable-gpio feature would better be
>> > auto-probed in configure.ac?
>>
>> Sure, if you do not want to activate that feature in your build, that
>> should not go in.
>
> Still, having the code in on a system that could otherwise support the
> feature at all (*) would not hurt those who don't want to use it.  Am
> I missing something?  It's common practice for AVRDUDE to include all
> programmer handling code that would *potentially* be applicable for a
> particular target system, without requiring the user to include or
> exclude each of them by configure options (as, e.g. OpenOCD is doing).
>
> (*) I'm not knowledgable enough about *which* Linux systems are
> candidates for it.  Every Linux with a recent enough kernel?  (Which
> one?)  Every Linux that has /sys/class/gpio around?  Something else?

Sysfs+gpio is in linux since 2.6.28:

http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/Documentation/gpio.txt

To my mind, potentially all the openwrt routers with a kernel upper
than .28 should be able to work with gpio+sysfs exposure.

I have a bunch of them at home, but I need to make update of the
avrdure openwrt with the gpio patch to see how it behaves, but avrdude
is available as a binary for openwrt since backfire:

http://downloads.openwrt.org/backfire/10.03.1/adm5120_router_be/packages/

> IMHO, the autoconf.ac stuff could just determine, based on something
> like those symptoms I mentioned, whether the respective system
> supports the feature or not, and then enable it.  If it's not enabled
> by default on systems that *could* potentially use it, each user who
> actually wants it were forced to compile their own, customized binary,
> because maintstream distribution maintainers will regularly miss to
> add this option to their configuration scripts.

For now, I would say disable it by default, people who want tge
feature will just have to add a ./configure --enable-gpio option.

I will try to give a shot to the avrdude+gpio patch against openwrt if
I find the time this week-end.

--
Benjamin Henrion <bhenrion at ffii.org>
FFII Brussels - +32-484-566109 - +32-2-3500762