Re: [avrdude-dev] [patch #7486] Patch to add FT2232C/D, FT2232H, FT4232H

From: Jason Hecker
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] [patch #7486] Patch to add FT2232C/D, FT2232H, FT4232H, usbvid, usbpid, usbdev for USB support - Based on #7062
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2011 12:25:49 +1000

> According to libftdi documentation ftdi_usb_purge_buffers() does what
> avrftdi_flush was intended for. I wasn't aware of the purge functions, but
> they are the better solution. However, ftdi_read_data() shouldn't fail either.

Well maybe it used to work but something has changed.

I have built avrdude-SVN981 with my patches for the 232H applied in
Ubuntu 11.04 (Natty).  Much to my teeth gnashing dismay neither the
libftdi0.18 or even the libftdi-0.19-3 packages (from Oneric) support
the 232H yet and I get:

address@hidden:~/avrdude/avrdude$ sudo ./avrdude -C ./avrdude.conf -c
um232h -p m1280
Unknown type 1 (0x1)
Unknown type 1 (0x1)

It looks like there has been an effort made to backport the device
into libftdi 0.1x
(http://developer.intra2net.com/mailarchive/html/libftdi/2011/msg00260.html)
but it hasn't trickled to Ubuntu yet.  What's the state of other Linux
and BSDs with respect to libftdi?

You can do a quick check to see what's going on if in ftdi.h there is
an enumeration for 'TYPE_232H = 6'.